FAQs: Admission | Mount St. Joseph University

Frequently Asked Questions for Traditional Transfer Students

What are the Admission Criteria?

At Mount St. Joseph University, we look at each student as an individual. Your interests, aptitude and potential for academic success are taken into consideration when you apply to the Mount. The University's admission decision is one of eligibility rather than selection.

How do I apply?

In selecting freshman for admission, we consider academic preparation by looking at high school transcripts, academic aptitude and SAT or ACT scores. You are admitted to the University, not to a particular major or program. If you are ready to apply, please go to the admission section of our website.

What Majors are offered at the Mount?

We offer more than 35 undergraduate majors, six graduate degree programs, certificate programs, and licensure programs in education. To view a complete list of our majors and minors, go to the academics section of our website.

What does it cost to go to the Mount?

The Office of Student Administrative Services looks forward to working with you to explore ways to make a Mount education affordable. About 80 percent of our students receive financial assistance to help meet their university expenses. We're here to answer your questions about university costs and eligibility for financial assistance including scholarships. For more information on cost, check out the tuition section of our website.

What are the Mount's transfer policies for credits, quarter hours, older credits, and technical credits?

For more information on transferring credits to the Mount, visit the university catalog.

How will I know what my class status is?

Class status is based on total cumulative hours (including transfer hours), as follows:

  • Freshman: 0-27 semester hours
  • Sophomore: 28-59 semester hours
  • Junior: 60-91 semester hours
  • Senior: 92+ semester hours
How and where do I send my transcripts?

Contact the Registrar's Office at your transferring institution and arrange to have your transcript sent to the Mount. Official copies of all previously attended colleges and universities must be sent directly from the previously attended institutions to:

  • ATTN: Office of Admission
  • Mount St. Joseph University
  • 5701 Delhi Road
  • Cincinnati, OH 45233-1670
I already have a bachelor's degree, what graduate programs do you offer?
  • Master of Art in Education
  • Master of Science in Organizational Leadership
  • Doctorate of Physical Therapy
  • Teacher Education Apprenticeship Master’s Program (TEAM)
  • Master of Art in Religious Studies

Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Students

I’m interested in transferring to the Mount, what should I do?

You should talk to an admission counselor. Email Amy Gamble, or call her at (513) 244-4538 to discuss your next steps.

Recommendations: You may want to schedule a campus visit if you've never been to the University. You can tour the campus, and meet with representatives, including a counselor, faculty member, financial aid coordinator or coach. If you meet with a counselor, we can talk about your academic interests, look at your transfer work, and provide you with our degree requirements. If you’re ready to apply, start by completing the online application for admission.

What do I have to do to apply?

Begin by filling out our application for admission. Request that your official college transcripts, high school transcript and ACT/SAT test scores be sent to the University. If you're a recent high school graduate enrolled in your first university term, please submit your high school transcript and test scores. We will require receipt of your university transcripts when grades are available. If you do not have ACT/SAT test scores, you must complete the COMPASS Assessment.

Once we have your application, all transcripts and test scores, we'll review your admission application. We normally will contact you, by mail, with an admission decision within two weeks of your completed application.

What are your criteria for admission?

A transfer student who has above a 2.0 cumulative university grade point average, with at least 12 semester hours/18 quarter hours, will normally be admitted in good academic standing. High school credentials will be reviewed for students who do not meet these criteria. If you are a recent high school graduate enrolled in your first term of college, we will review your high school credentials for admission.

Some academic programs require a separate admission into their program. Applicants for athletic training and nursing require additional review and acceptance. Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the program.

I was admitted to the Mount when I was a senior in high school but decided to attend another university. I want to come to the Mount now, what should I do?

Please follow the same procedures as listed above. Reapply for admission to the University as a transfer student. While we may have a copy of your high school transcript from when you originally applied, if it is not a final, official copy then you will need to request your high school transcript to be sent. We also need ACT and/or SAT test scores, unless we already have them. If you are in your first term of college, we will review your high school credentials for admission. You will submit your college transcript when the term has ended. If you've already earned college credit when you apply, submit your college transcript. We will review it as part of the admission decision.

Will the college credit I already have transfer?

We accept transfer credit from other regionally accredited institutions. College-level work completed with a grade of “C” or higher is normally accepted. Developmental coursework is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Co-op, Internship, Practicum, Student Teaching, Clinical, and other hands-on related credit does not automatically transfer. You will want to refer to our complete list of transfer policies for more information.

Does my GPA transfer?

Your credits transfer, your GPA does not. Your GPA will begin when you start taking courses at the Mount. Grades for credits transferred from another university are not counted in your cumulative GPA at the Mount. Keep in mind that for Admission purposes, your college GPA will be reviewed.

Do you accept AP, dual/post-secondary credit that I earned while still in high school?

Yes. View our complete guide to AP credit to see what scores are required and how to get your scores sent to our Registrar’s Office. Transfer credit is available for dual or post-secondary credit. We must receive an official college transcript that shows completion of credit for coursework taken. Dual/post-secondary credit follows the same transfer policies as all other college credit.

The school that I currently attend is on quarters, but the Mount is on semesters; so, how does that work?

View the chart below to get an idea of how quarter-hour credits transfer to semesters.

Quarter hours Semester hours
1.0 .50
2.0 1.0
3.0 2.0
4.0 2.5
5.0 3.0
6.0 4.0

When does evaluation of my credit occur?

Once you've been admitted to the University. we complete an official evaluation of your credit. During this evaluation, the Office of Admission will review your transfer work for Core Curriculum and general credit. You will then receive a copy of your completed evaluation by mail. Academic departments determine the applicability of transfer courses to their program requirements. Your academic department will also receive a copy of your evaluation.

Your transcript analyst’s contact information will be provided with your evaluation so you can follow up with any questions you might have.

How can I see if my credits would transfer before I’m admitted?
The Office of Admission will gladly do an unofficial review of your transfer work prior to your application or admission to the University. Provide a copy of your academic record, and one of our transcript analysts will review your work for potential transfer credit.

When I transfer, what will my class status be?

Class status is based on total cumulative hours (including transfer hours) as follows:

  • Freshman: 0 – 27 semester hours
  • Sophomore: 28 – 59 semester hours
  • Junior: 60 – 91 semester hours
  • Senior: 92 + semester hours

All degree requirements must be met for graduation, which includes meeting your Core Curriculum, program and residency requirements.

I plan on transferring to the Mount but will be taking some more coursework at my current institution before doing so. What should I do to make sure I’m taking coursework that will transfer?

Working with your academic advisor at your current institution is important, but feel free to talk with counselors at the Mount. They can look at what you've taken so far and give you some ideas on what types of classes to take next based on our requirements.

Am I eligible for any scholarships as a transfer student?

Use this scholarship wizard to determine if you qualify for any of the academic performance-based scholarships offered to undergraduate students by the Mount.

To find more information on scholarships and other aid, go to Financial Aid.