Mount St. Joseph University will be taking part in the first “College Challenge” of the Warrior Run 5K on Saturday, October 11 in Mariemont. There is a 1-mile walk starting at 5:15 p.m. and a 5K starting at 5:30 p.m. Both courses begin at the Bell Tower at Dogwood Park, off Pleasant Street, in Mariemont. The Warrior Run raises awareness for suicide prevention, and fundraises for mental health programs. This year’s College Challenge is in memory of Brogan Dulle, the UC student who committed suicide this spring.
The College Challenge consists of three things. Each college’s participation, service and fundraising is calculated based on size of enrollment.
• Participation in the 5K/1Mile (60%)
• Community service by students (30%)
• Fundraising (10%)---All proceeds that we raise will be donated back to the Mount for wellness-related programming.
The Mount is competing against UC, XU, NKU, and Cincinnati State. The “winning” college receives a Skyline cheese coney party on campus, a $1,500 scholarship, and Local 12 will broadcast from the campus.
How to get involved:
• Go to the Mount St. Joseph University College Challenge page: https://secure.getmeregistered.com/homepage.php?id=7717
• Click “Contribute” or “Register” if you want to do the 5K or 1M walk.
• Make sure you designate Mount St. Joseph University College Challenge. Mount student Tevin Byers is our Student Ambassador.
Community Service opportunities are many! You will see emails and posts/tweets on our website and social media about opportunities. For more information on how to get involved or track hours, contact Tevin Byers (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Keith Lanser (email@example.com).
• Hoop for a Cause is a 3-on-3 basketball tournament on Wed., Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. in the Harrington Center. It’s $5/player and all money goes toward the fundraising part of the challenge. Mount basketball players will serve as referees. Sign up table will be outside the dining hall at lunch for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Help inflate balloons on Monday, October 6 from 9-11 a.m. in the Harrington Center. Balloons are for a depression awareness event. RSVP to Jennifer Strom at email@example.com.
• Group Fitness is forming some walking/running clubs to get ready for the Warrior Run. Interested? Email Heather Christensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.