The month of February has been called “Honors Season” at the College for many years. It’s a time for the whole Mount community to reflect on our accomplishments and to nominate ourselves and others for a wide variety of awards and recognitions. Starting on February 1st and culminating with the Convocation during the Celebration of Teaching & Learning on Tuesday, April 16th, this has become my favorite time of the year!
Students who have demonstrated academic excellence, service achievement, leadership qualities and exemplary character will be recognized as members of Alpha Chi and/or Kappa Gamma Pi. Chi Alpha Sigma, an honorary college athletic society will recognize our sport letter winners, athletes with these same outstanding qualities. The College will honor all students who have attained a 4.0 cumulative grade point average after taking at least 29 semester hours at the Mount with an Academic Achievement Award as well as those who have successfully completed the Honors Program.
Applications are now being accepted from students in the following categories:
- Mount Distinguished Student Award: The highest honor the Mount bestows upon graduating baccalaureate and graduate degree students. Students who are eligible to apply are notified by mail.
- St. Catherine Medal: This medal is awarded to a JUNIOR who has demonstrated unusual and unselfish service and a commitment to a lifetime of faith and service to his/her church and community.
- Sister Maria Corona Leadership Award: Offered to a traditional graduating SENIOR who has demonstrated consistent, outstanding leadership in campus and/or community activities.
- Harrington Award: Offered to an adult graduating SENIOR who has demonstrated consistent, outstanding leadership in campus and/or community activities.
- Excellence in Leadership: Open to all students who demonstrate leadership, character, and service in organizations on campus and/or in the community.
- Sister Elizabeth Cashman Service Award: Given to a student who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to the mission of the College through involvement in and initiation of service. Special consideration to applicants involved in Service Learning, Campus Ministry and other College or College club sponsored events.
- Dave Scharfenberger Community Service Award: Given to a student who has demonstrated exceptional service to the College and the greater Cincinnati community. Special consideration to those students involved in the Plus 1 Service Learning Credit, a Service Immersion Trip, or a service – oriented club or organization.
- Bing Litonjua Award for Excellence in International Understanding: Awarded to a junior or senior who has demonstrated excellence in international understanding, especially with respect to issues of social justice.
- Alumni Book Award: Monetary award of $200 to be used for textbooks, offered to two students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and/or service to the College community. Student must demonstrate financial need.
Students also have the opportunity to honor a very special faculty member, one who has truly impacted their learning and their lives. It is called the Clifford Award, named after Sister Adele Clifford, Mount President from 1968 to 1972. The Student Government Association and the Student Affairs Division manage this nomination and selection process.
In addition to all of these “student driven” honors, we have the Jane Cuni Armstrong Award, given at commencement to a graduate who has shown consistent improvement and continued academic diligence in overcoming obstacles and difficulties. This award requires a faculty and/or staff nominator.
Several additional faculty honors will be awarded along with our Mission Awards for staff members.
The deadline for submission is Friday, March 1, 2013. Information and application materials are available at on myMount: https://mymount.msj.edu/ICS/Mount_Community/Awards_and_Recognitions/Honors_Season_Award_Criteria_and_Forms.jnz
You may also contact Maggie Davis, Associate Academic Dean and Honors Coordinator (244-4630 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for an email attachment of the appropriate forms.