Position Title: Network Systems Engineer
Classification: Professional Staff III
Department: Technology Infrastructure Services
Reports to: Director of Technology Infrastructure Services
The successful incumbent will provide full network life-cycle services for campus data and phone infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to, design, planning/testing, installation, system administration, maintenance and troubleshooting of campus data and voice network components, including all related hardware and software; support of Information Services & Support personnel, and connectivity support for Administrative Computing systems.
- Produces solutions for both physical and logical infrastructures for data (wired and wireless) and voice networks.
- Designs and incorporates solutions for all network related functions, core services and end-user connectivity (presently including network authentication, network and data security, e-mail, file and print services, disaster recovery, name resolution, address management, patch management, remote access, etc.)
- Installs, maintains and troubleshoots all campus network hardware, servers (excluding servers that are supported and/or maintained by Administrative Computing unit), routers, switches, wireless bridges, hubs and other connectivity peripherals.
- Installs, maintains and troubleshoots network and server operating systems and related software.
- Performs routine data backups and ensures the integrity.
- Works with outside vendors on selected project implementation. Works with outside vendors to secure repair services and to verify successful completion.
- Creates and maintains network documentation.
- Monitors network and server performance making adjustments and/or configurations changes to optimize performance as necessary
- Coordinates, creates and maintains network accounts, electronic mailboxes, network-based print queues, etc.
- Administers, supports, maintains and designs solutions for campus e-mail system (currently Microsoft Exchange/Outlook).
- Provides secondary support to ISS Helpdesk and Technical Support Services personnel for issues related to networked devices. Provides secondary assistance with installation, maintenance, and repairs of campus computers, printers, peripherals, and associated software.
- Enforces network and data security policies approved by Director, Technology Infrastructure Services and the Chief Information Officer, and ultimately President’s Cabinet, and ensures compliance.
- Recommends security strategy and coordinates maintenance of network security.
- Responds to technology-related emergencies on a 24/7/365 basis when either assistance is required by (first responder) Network Administrator or by becoming aware of technology-related emergency through other means.
- Provides second and limited third level support for phone communications system and voice messaging system, including physical phone moves and cross-connects.
- Provides training sessions for ISS staff when necessary.
- Adheres to unit’s policies and procedures; analyzes and resolves problems; cooperates and communicates effectively and in a timely manner with department staff, supervisor, and other departments.
- Engages in personal professional development to stay current with the demands of the position; is a positive influence for the effective use of technology on campus.
- Provides process-reengineering services as appropriate.
- Performs additional, related duties as assigned.
Primary Contacts: Technology Infrastructure Services, Information Services & Support Staff; College faculty and staff; vendors, and other members of the College community
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Works toward a previously defined objective with little supervision and uses a wide range of procedures; plans and arranges own work referring unusual cases to Director of Technology Infrastructure Services.
Education: Associate degree in computer or electronic technology, or equivalent relevant experience.
Experience: Extensive experience and working knowledge in the network engineering/administration field relative to the job duties listed above. Proven expertise in a broad range of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures. Strong customer service orientation; strong problem solving abilities and a positive, cooperative attitude.
Specialized Training: MCSE (Microsoft Certified Software Engineer) and CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) training and certification preferred.
Work Environment/ Physical Work Demands: Standing or sitting in one position for long periods; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; high level customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to Human_Resources@mail.msj.edu. Please include Attn: Network Systems Engineer Search in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To send requests for a complete job description to Human_Resources@mail.msj.edu
Meet The Mount Jubilee co-chairs for 2014 Read More
Kinder Morgan Softball Complex