Department: Campus Ministry
Reports to: President
Purpose: The Director of Mission & Ministry is responsible for the leadership and vision of Mission and Ministry at Mount St. Joseph University. The Director is an advocate for the spiritual life of the University community including empowering students, faculty, and staff to build a strong faith community on campus, as well as discerning what the needs of the community are and trying to meet those needs.
• Have regular meetings with the President to discuss Mission-related and Catholic Church issues.
• Serve as a resource for mission integration in departments.
• Initiate programs, activities, and resources that support and enhance the mission.
• Help shape the campus culture as centering on the Catholic and Sister of Charity elements of the mission.
• Provide ongoing mission development for faculty and staff including workshops, retreats and spiritual renewal opportunities.
• Participate in the interview process of potential employees to reinforce mission, and coordinate formation activities including mission orientation for new employees.
• Serve as a pastoral presence to all facets of the university community.
• Support and supervise the Coordinator of Campus Ministry.
• Manage the registration process for all weddings in the Mater Dei Chapel and train and supervise the student sacristans who handle the actual weddings and rehearsals.
• Work in collaboration with students, staff, administration and faculty in building an ecumenical and interfaith environment.
• Work with Student Life and Academic Development in decision making and policy development related to the spiritual development of the campus community.
• Collaborate with Coordinator of Campus Ministry in developing opportunities to raise awareness and advocate for systemic change on various social justice issues.
• Supervise and evaluate personnel; periodically review and update job descriptions with Mission and Ministry, Campus Ministry and Human Resources.
• Prepare and manage the department budget.
• Serve as co-chair (as an ex-officio member) of the Mission Committee and be open to other University committee assignments.
• Work with student development and wellness staff to respond to the needs of students.
• Participate as a member of the team in responsibilities for new student orientation, baccalaureate, commencement, and other shared divisional activities.
• Contribute to team efforts by welcoming new and different work tasks; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the department; helping others accomplish related tasks when needed.
• Act as Head Sacristan, caring for both Mater Dei and Holy Spirit chapels, hiring and training students to help with weddings and Sun. PM Masses.
Primary Contacts: President, Coordinator of Campus Ministry, faculty, staff, and students, Student Affairs staff, Wellness staff, student workers and other members of the Mount community
Supervision Exercised: Coordinator of Campus Ministry, student sacristans, student workers
Supervision Received: Works under general direction toward broadly defined objectives; refers specific problems to a supervisor only when clarification or interpretation of organizational policies is involved.
Education: Masters Degree required in Theology or related field and have Catholic Campus Ministry Association (CCMA) certification or willingness to pursue certification.
Experience: Significant experience with young adults or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
• Exhibit a "student/customer first" orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations
• Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and students' needs and expectations; anticipate and identify students' needs
• Available to rotate through multiple time frames of service operations
• Demonstrate ability to facilitate transitions and counsel students toward the realization of their spiritual potential
• Demonstrate ability to recognize, appreciate and serve cultural differences and the special needs of students and families
• Communicate, cooperate and collaborate with faculty and staff colleagues to provide services to students and the university community in fulfilling our mission
• Assist in various responsibilities as appropriate within the Student Development and Wellness Suite as required during high demand times
• Develop and nurture an effective, productive and respectful rapport and working relationship with students and co workers, maintain appropriate level of professionalism
• Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others
• Must possess effective communication skills in writing and public presentations
• Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions
• Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
• Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
• Pro-active service to the campus community in pastoral responses, program development, collaboration, and vision
Technical: Must possess aptitude for technological development and its implications for appropriate automation of office including email web communication, shared calendar, use of programs for writing and storing information etc.
Work Environment, Physical Demands: Standing or sitting in one position for long periods; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; customer contact; strict confidentiality; detailed work; small and large group speaking engagements under varying conditions, locations and formats, physical lifting. Evening and weekend hours.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Attn: Director of Mission & Ministry” in your subject line. A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Kritsky: "Keep the pictures coming!" Read More
"Campus Protests, Public Safety, and Free Speech" will be held Tuesday, May 30 Read More