MAGELIN – MSN Admission Requirements for Students entering MSN-MAGELIN Program Effective May, 2015.
To be admitted to the MSN-MAGELIN - Master of Science in Nursing program, applicants must meet the following criteria and complete the application process:
- A non-nursing Baccalaureate degree from a college or university that holds regional accreditation. An official transcript from a regionally accredited institution must be submitted directly from the college or university attended to Mount St. Joseph University, Graduate Admission Office, 5701 Delhi Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45233.
The MSN-MAGELIN applicant must meet the following prerequisite course requirements with a C or better in addition to the general admission requirements for the MSN-MAGELIN program. The student may take a prerequisite course no more than two times.
- Chemistry (inorganic/organic/or biochemistry) with lab
- One year of Anatomy & Physiology with lab (within five years of program entry)
- Microbiology with lab
- Pathophysiology (within five years of program entry)
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Statistics
- Lifespan Development (infant/child, adolescent, adult)
** Proficiency tests are available for some of the prerequisite courses.
**Students may apply to the program while prerequisite courses are in progress.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0/4.0 scale or a 3.0/4.0 GPA in the nine prerequisite courses (no prerequisite course can be below a C and the student may take a prerequisite course no more than two times.)
- Applicants whose native language is other than English must demonstrate an established level of English proficiency by taking the internet based TOEFL (iBT) and have a minimum cumulative score of 90 with minimum individual scores of 26 in speaking, 22 in listening, 20 in writing, 22 in reading. Only official scores will be accepted and the testing must be within two years of application to the program.
- Acceptable criminal background check (prior to program entry).
- Complete all clinical health requirements prior to program entry.
- Complete healthcare provider CPR training (adult, child, infant with AED) through the American Heart Association (Heartcode BLS) or American Red Cross (CPRIAED for Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers) which is current and valid throughout the entire program.
The following must be submitted as part of the application process:
- A completed graduate application.
- A one-page typewritten essay with reasons for seeking the MAGELIN - Master of Science in Nursing Degree along with a statement of your professional goals.
- A completed prerequisite form.
- Interview with program director or designee.
- When all materials are submitted and reviewed, the program director or designee will contact you to arrange a time for an interview.