Application deadlines are September 1 & November 1
The Physical Therapy Department at Mount St. Joseph University now participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service, known as PTCAS. To learn more about the PTCAS application process, please visit the PTCAS web site.
Conferment of a Bachelor's degree prior to program start.
Minimum Overall and Science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Undergraduate coursework from ALL institutions attended/courses taken will be included in this calculation. For those individuals with a graduate degree, only the graduate degree GPA will be used.
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores within the last five years will be accepted.
- Completion of at least eighty (80) hours of clinical observation supervised by a physical therapist. Hours must include a minimum of 20 hours in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Completion of the following prerequisite coursework, with a grade of “C” or better (this includes C+, C, and C-) by matriculation date. Students may apply for admission before completing all prerequisite coursework. However, at least 2/3rds of science prerequisites (e.g. 6 semesters or 9 quarters) must be completed by application deadline.
One year (two semesters or three quarters) of each of the following courses with laboratory component:
Anatomy and Physiology - Human anatomy & physiology is preferred, although mammalian or vertebrate are also acceptable. Courses in exercise physiology do NOT count towards the physiology requirement.
Physics - Algebra/trigonometry-based as well as calculus-based courses are acceptable.
Chemistry - General chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemistry are all acceptable.
Humanities and Social Sciences
One course in each of the following areas:
One course in statistics (any type)
For International Students
- Undergraduate transcripts from countries outside the United States will need to be evaluated by World Education Service.
- TOEFL requirements: paper-based - 510 undergraduate, 560 graduate, computer-based - 220, i-TOEFL - 83. Requirements can be waived only if the graduate department requires another standardized test, e.g. GRE.
- Permanent residents must provide a copy of Alien Registration Card (green card) or a copy of visa documentation.
- Declaration of Finances (for F-1 Visa), either I-134 or certified bank statement on letterhead with dollar amount equal to one year’s tuition, housing, etc.
The DPT program has established specific technical standards for admission.
These standards reflect the minimum mental and physical requirements necessary to become a physical therapist. Candidates for selection to Mount St. Joseph University DPT program should review these before making the decision to apply to the program. After students are enrolled, they will be required to verify they understand and meet these standards or that they believe that, with certain accommodations, they can meet them.
Application Deadlines and Admission Decision Timelines
DPT Coursework begins late May to early June
Expedited Admission Process for highly qualified applicants desiring rapid admission decision.
Criteria for expedited admission process:
- Overall and science GPA 3.5 or above
- GRE verbal+quanitative score of 305 or above and analytical score of 4 or above
- All application materials submitted to PTCAS by September 1 of year prior to start of coursework
Timeline for expedited admission process::
- Early to mid-October: DPT program contacts selected candidates for on-campus interview
- Early to mid-November: Candidate interviews held at Mount St. Joseph University
- Early to mid-December: Notification of acceptance or decision to consider applicant with the General Admission Process
General Admission Process
Criteria for general admission process:
- See section on Requirements above
- All application materials submitted to PTCAS by November 1 of year prior to start of coursework
Timeline for general admission process:
- Mid December: DPT program contacts selected candidates for on-campus interview
- Mid January: Candidate interviews held at Mount St. Joseph University
- Late January: Notification of acceptance or placement on wait-list
If you need further information, please visit the FAQ page and/or contact the DPT program:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (513) 244-4890
- Toll free: 1 (800) 654-9314
- Fax: (513) 451-2547
- Attn: DPT program
- 5701 Delhi Road
- Cincinnati, Ohio 45233