Health Professions Advising is additional guidance for students interested in pursuing health care careers following graduation.
What is Health Professions Advising?
Through Health Professions Advising, students will work with their normal academic advisors and faculty members on the Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) to design a course of study that is suited to their specific career goals. Students may choose any undergraduate major that will enable them to fulfill the course requirements and other prerequisites for admission to professional schools. HPAC offers advising services for:
- athletic training
- chiropractic medicine
- occupational therapy
- physical therapy
- public health
- veterinary science
Advising and planning for these professional programs is provided by expert faculty members in the School of Behavioral and Natural Sciences and the School of Health Sciences.
The Advantages of Health Professions Advising
Under guidance from their advisors, students will have access to:
- Career overviews, including a listing of tri-state professional schools, required and recommended courses, required exams, and other helpful information.
- Shadowing opportunities for a variety of careers
- Group and individual advising meetings
- A close connection with staff in the Career & Experiential Center and in the Academic Advising Resource Center.
- Exposure to healthcare professionals in the local community.
- Interviews and committee recommendations that are required by some professional graduate programs.
- Beneficial insight and assistance with the graduate program application process and interviewing process.
Our expert faculty provides career readiness through guidance and advising in different health care professions. All of our HPAC advisors actively participate in the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP) and the Central Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (CAAHP) meetings.
Mary Brigham, M.A.
Assistant Director for Graduate Admission
Sandy Matthais, MSN, RN, Department of Nursing
Advisor for Pre-Graduate Nursing
BC Charles-Liscombe, Ed.D., ATC, Department of Athletic Training
Advisor for Pre-Athletic Training (graduate), Pre-Chiropractic Medicine, Pre-Public Health, and Pre-Occupational Therapy
Eric Johnson, Ph.D., Department of Chemistry
Advisor for Pre-Medicine, Pre-Podiatry, Pre-Veterinary, and Pre-Dentistry
Jill Russell, Ph.D., Department of Biology
Advisor for Pre-Optometry and Pre-Pharmacy
Jamie Titus, Ph.D., Department of Chemistry
Advisor for Pre-Physician Assistant and Pre-Physical Therapy